If you are looking for an easy weeknight dinner that the whole family (especially the kids) will love, look no further. This barbeque chicken wings recipe is the BEST.
This recipe was taught to me by my boss when I lived in China. She had invited me over for dinner one night and this was one of the dishes that she prepared. The recipe was so easy that I remember it to this day and now cook it for my daughter. I tell you, she can NOT get enough of barbeque chicken wings!
The important thing to remember in this recipe is the part of the chicken wings used. It has to be the wingettes or flats of the chicken wings. For a better image and description of the different parts of chicken wings, see this post by Christine Gallary of The Kitchn.
The wingettes stay flat which makes it easier for the chicken wings to soak up all the goodness in the sauce! I have tried using drumettes and drumsticks and they simply don’t work as well. So, try to stick to wingettes as much as you can.
And remember when I told you this recipe was so easy to remember? Just count from 1-5 and that’s it. See ingredients below to see what I mean!
Barbeque Chicken Wings Recipe 醬雞翅
- 1 tablespoon rice cooking wine (I use Shaoxing Brand similar to this)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons black vinegar (I use 老陳醋 similar to this)
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce (divided into 2 tablespoons light soy sauce 生抽 and 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce 老抽)
- 5 tablespoons water
- 12-15 pieces of chicken party wings (wingettes/flats portion)
- Combine ingredients from 1-5 in a large nonstick skillet. Arrange wingettes on the skillet so they do not overlap. Each wingette must lay flat on the skillet.
- Heat up the skillet and wait for the sauce to start boiling. Once it starts to boil, turn the heat down to medium low. Leave the skillet uncovered.
- Flip the wingettes every few minutes so both sides get covered in the sauce.
- The chicken wings are done when the sauce becomes sticky like barbeque sauce!
- Serve immediately.